With special thanks to Jo from Quirky Cooking for sharing these delicious recipes:
Quark, Herb & Garlic Dip
– 1 shallot, green parts only
– 1 clove garlic
– handful Italian parsley
– 250g Mungalli quark cheese
– 2 Tbspns milk
Method: Crush garlic, scrape into food processor. Add parsley & shallot and blend until finely chopped. Add quark and milk and blend until combined.
Beetroot and Carrot Salad with Feta & Pomegranate Molasses
(recipe from www.recipecommunity.com.au)
400 g beetroot , peeled and quartered
400 g carrot , peeled and roughly chopped
55 g raisins
20 g sunflower seeds , toasted
20 g pumpkin seeds , toasted
1/4 tsp salt
Feta & baby spinach leaves to serve.
Method: Finely chop mint in food processor. Add remaining dressing ingredients to food processor and mix until combined. Grate carrot and beetroot into a large serving bowl. Add raisins, seeds, salt and dressing and mix well. Serve salad on baby spinach leaves and top with crumbled feta.
Pomegranate Molasses is available from most european, gourmet, and health food stores.
Chicken & Cashews with Coconut Satay Sauce and Coconut Rice
(courtesy of www.quirkycooking.blogspot.com)
– 300g – 400g Biochicken chicken breasts or thighs
– 1-2 cloves garlic
– 1-2 cms fresh ginger
– a couple of tablespoons of tamari or soy sauce
– a splash of sesame oil
– 450g coconut cream (1 tin, or make your own in the Thermomix)
– 750g water
– 400g basmati rice
– some thin wedges of onion
– 2 stalks of celery, leaves removed, thinly sliced
– 2 carrots, thinly sliced
– broccoli, small pieces
– green beans
– chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
– boy choy, thinly sliced
– red (and/or green) capsicum, thinly sliced
– snow peas
– shallots, sliced and sprinkled on top
– some sesame seeds
– a handful of cashews (roasted or raw)
– a couple of handfuls of raw cashews
– 1 inch of fresh red chilli (or more if you like it hotter)
– a good handful of fresh parsley or coriander
– 1 teaspoon of Rapadura (optional)
– a tablespoon of chicken stock paste (or vege stock paste)
Method: Marinate chicken with ground garlic & ginger, tamari & sesame oil.
Make coconut rice in saucepan or in rice cooker.
Meanwhile, steam chicken & veges in a steamer, or stir fry them in a frying pan.
Make the satay sauce in a blender, using a tin of coconut milk and some chicken stock as the liquid, then heat in saucepan before pouring over chicken & veges.
Vanilla-Lime Coconut Cream & Pineapple Sorbet
– 80g Daintree Vanilla Sugar (or to taste)
– Zest of 2 limes (if using a Thermomix, just peel zest with vege peeler, no need to grate)
– 450g coconut cream (either tinned, or make your own from fresh coconut)
– 2 limes, skin removed
– 350g ice cubes (or 350ml water if using a food processor)
– 300g frozen pineapple chunks
– 1 egg white
1. Zest limes with a zester. Mix with vanilla sugar, coconut cream and 350ml water in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool, freeze in a tray. When half frozen, remove from freezer, break into pieces and process in food processor until creamy. Pour back in tray and re-freeze overnight.
2. Chop frozen pineapple in small pieces and process in a food processor until finely ground. Add broken up pieces of the frozen lime-coconut cream, the juice of the two limes, and the egg white and continue to process until creamy.